(re)patterning ourselves




I am feeling a bit down on myself 
I am noticing a critical voice, 
a voice that says 
no , 
you cannot 
be >beautyiful< grace 
you cannot be 
that destined 
for such exquisite 
and tender beauty 
such fierce 
and warm beauty 
every cell 
feeling beauty 
no 
that is not yours 
to deserve 

that is not yours 
to hold in yr aching hands 
and worship 

you : 
do not deserve this : 
this gift of life 

and i am overcome 
with a sea of eyes as
that writing it down 
brings 
not mine 
this voice 
a voice sharp 
and distorted to a shrill 
not mine 
but in me 
i can choose 
to spit out 
this societal myth 
created before my birth ]
and inserted into 
my body 

perhaps woven 
into my dna 
so that now 
in this moment of 
tuesday morning 
bird song 
i can take hold of the fabric 
and turn it … 
in a new way, 
(re)patterning 

ourselves

Comments

  1. Oh, but you DO deserve it! More than anyone else I know, you are relishing the gift of life. I came across this poem I wrote when I was 12 (I had a provocative English teacher who asked us to write about the meaning of life), and it reminded me of you:

    The Meaning

    To learn to love the passion in a life,
    To breathe the look of beauty through your eyes,
    To contemplate the wonder in a fall,
    To learn to love the passion, that is all.

    To tempt a fit of anger and embrace,
    The scorned and hostile look upon a face,
    To pass your tender fingers through the flame,
    And feel the sense of comfort in a shame.

    To swell the placid waters in your heart,
    And pull the dull extremities apart,
    And watch the shattered dreams descend to dust,
    And understand the end is always just.

    To assert the cause as right despite the vanity,
    And provoke the senseless judgments of humanity,
    To take and give and conclude no debt is owing,
    To determine that the joy is in the knowing.

    To ride the rushing current that is time,
    And pick the fruit of wisdom in its prime,
    To only climb the mountain that is tall,
    To learn to love the passion, that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god Bruce you wrote that when you were 12!? That is EPIC! What a wise soul you are! And so gifted with the word. Loving and appreciating, always, your comments on my posts :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share whatever is true for you!

Popular Posts